Who is Dr. Jerry Tennant?
Jerry Tennant, MD, MD(H), PScD, founder of The Tennant Institute for Integrative Medicine, is a world-renowned physician and integrative health practitioner.
Dr. Tennant, along with peers who are named on these Who’s Who lists of integrative/alternative practitioners—Drs. Oz, Mercola, Weil, Sears, Brownstein, and others—is a pioneer in helping in the integration of a more holistic approach to the practice of medicine today. Patients from all over the world travel to the Tennant Institute for Integrative Medicine in Colleyville (a suburb of Dallas), Texas, to seek out and benefit from his healing expertise.
Dr. Tennant was named among Top 20 Alternative Doctors in America in the book Learn How the Top 20 Alternative Doctors in America can Improve Your Health. The Arizona Board of Homeopathic and Integrated Medicine sanctioned the publication of the book.
Dr. Tennant was also recently listed in the Top 25 on a list of 100 integrative medical doctors in the United States by Newsmax.
What Is Integrative Medicine?
Traditional medicine in the U.S. assumes that if a cell isn't functioning correctly, one must find a pharmaceutical to correct the function. If that doesn't work, one must remove the offending organ surgically.
Integrative medicine recognizes that other cultures have been successfully using other theories of how we get sick and how we get well for thousands of years.
The World Health Organization ranks medical outcomes in the U.S. as 38th in the world—on par with some third-world countries. Thus, it is obvious that these other systems have something to offer and should not be ignored.
Complementary and alternative medicines involve the use and integration of all theories and forms of medical care, attempting to utilize the best of each for a better outcome. Only since the early 1990s have U.S. medical schools started teaching therapies like acupuncture, homeopathy, etc., which have been used successfully in the rest of the world for hundreds or thousands of years.
The Tennant Institute for Integrative Medicine offers an integrative approach.
From the Start...
Dr. Tennant’s accomplishments have been nothing short of remarkable. Here is just a glimpse of his accomplishments throughout his career:
- High School valedictorian at age 16 in 1957;
- Finished university (except for three credit hours) in 2-1/2 years at Texas Tech University, and was awarded the “Phi Kappa Phi Award” and “Pre-med of the Year Award”;
- Before entering medical school, Dr. Tennant attended the University of Houston School of Optometry;
- In 1960, at age 19, he was accepted into the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School;
- Graduated Top 10 in his medical school class and received his MD degree in 1964;
- Interned at Methodist Hospital of Dallas and then completed a residency in ophthalmology at Parkland Hospital in Dallas and Harvard/Massachusetts Eye and Ear in Boston between 1965 and 1968;
- Fellow of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery;
- Board certified in Ophthalmology and Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery, Director of the Ophthalmic Plastic Surgery Clinic at Parkland Hospital/Southwestern Medical School;
- Founded the Dallas Eye Institute;
- Holds patents on surgical instruments, intraocular lenses, and other devices, including the Tennant Biomodulator® PLUS and PRO;
- An accomplished author of books on cataract surgery, lifestyle management, and integrative medicine;
- Developed and refined the techniques to allow eye surgery to be safely performed in an outpatient setting instead of a hospital with the assistance of his anesthesiologist, Monte Hellman, MD, and his internist, Javier Ramirez, MD;
- A pioneer in LASIK surgery, Dr. Tennant was responsible for most of the research done on the Excimer laser for VISX. He also performed over 1,000 operations in the United States and about 2,000 cases abroad from 1991 to 1995;
- Founded the Outpatient Ophthalmic Surgery Society, taught surgeons around the world to do outpatient eye surgery, and was instrumental in getting Congress to pay for outpatient surgery, saving Medicare millions of dollars every year, along with Drs. David McIntyre and Douglas Williamson;
- Chairman of the ad hoc committee that wrote the rules that govern outpatient surgicenters in Texas;
- Dr. Tennant is one of the few surgeons to be awarded the Corboy Award for Contributions to Ophthalmology and the Recognition Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology;
- Dr. Tennant was one of the first surgeons in the U.S. to place intraocular lenses in eyes after cataract surgery, eliminating the need for thick, incapacitating glasses after cataract surgery. He redesigned the European lenses to eliminate defects and was awarded patents for his designs;
- Dr. Tennant is licensed by the Arizona Board of Homeopathic and Integrated Medicine Examiners MD(H). Texas does not have such a board;
- Although not a Catholic, Dr. Tennant was awarded the Order of Saint Sylvester by Pope Benedict XVI in 2008 for his contributions in medicine;
- Ph.D. (hon.) in anthropology and from Orden De Santiago Apóstol;
- Doctorate of natural medicine license from the Board of Pastoral Medical Association;
- Current member of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine.
Then, the Unthinkable Happened…
Dr. Tennant’s career was going full steam ahead at the height of his career when the unthinkable happened…
As mentioned above, Dr. Tennant was one of the first surgeons in the United States to place intraocular lenses in eyes after cataract surgery and taught his technique around the world.
Unfortunately, these numerous surgeries were the contributing factor to the decline in his health.
In the early days of laser operations, it was believed that ordinary surgical masks were sufficient to protect doctors from contamination. Nobody suspected that viruses existing in a patient’s eyes could possibly harm the surgeon.
However, each time Dr. Tennant performed surgery, the laser would strike the patient’s eye and release viruses that drifted upward through his mask and into his nose and brain. In time, he developed encephalitis and a bleeding disorder that manifested as spastic movements and an inability to remember even how to write a prescription. Diagnostic tests confirmed he had three viruses in his brain, but no one knew how to treat them. Dr. Tennant’s physicians told him there was nothing that could be done to help him.
So, on November 30, 1995, he was forced to retire at the height of his career.
For almost seven years, Dr. Tennant was in a mental fog that rarely lifted. Too fatigued to function on any level, Dr. Tennant slept about 16 hours each day.
During the two to three hours per day when he could think, he read books or newspapers until, like a light switch, his brain would turn off and he would no longer be able to understand what he was reading.
Modern American medicine could not help him.
With his waking and thinking time severely limited, Dr. Tennant gradually began to realize that if he was going to get well, it was up to him to find a way since modern American medicine had no answers. So he started reading cellular biology books.
As his knowledge grew, so did his belief in the importance of learning how to get a single cell to work correctly. If he could do that, in time, all of his cells would work correctly.
Each of the cellular biology books he read gave passing reference to the fact that cells function in a narrow range of pH, but said little more. Dr. Tennant began to look closely at pH. He came to realize that in addition to acidity and alkalinity, pH measures the voltage in a solution.
Voltage. Could this be the key he was searching for?
Gradually, Dr. Tennant began to understand that cells must have enough voltage to work and that chronic disease is associated with loss of voltage. His next step was to find out how to measure the voltage and keep it at optimal levels. Following this path, he was finally able to heal himself naturally.
Today, people travel from around the world to consult with Dr. Tennant at The Tennant Institute for Integrative Medicine.
Dr. Tennant also teaches and lectures worldwide for Senergy Medical Group, the exclusive distributor of his patented Tennant Biomodulator® PLUS & PRO. These FDA-accepted, non-invasive devices are designed to offer healthcare professionals and home users affordable drug-free and user-friendly options for the indicated use of symptomatic relief for chronic, severe, and intractable pain, and adjunctive treatment in the management of post-surgical and post-traumatic pain. The countless thousands of success stories and testimonials of patients’ recovery and pain reduction are phenomenal.
Dr. Tennant is the author many books and papers including Healing Is Voltage: The Handbook, Healing Is Voltage: The Textbook, and Healing Is Voltage: Healing Eye Diseases. His latest edition of Healing Is Voltage addresses cancer’s on/off switches: polarity. These books are based on his own personal experience and continuous energetic medical research.
Dr. Tennant's objective, through his Tennant Principles, is to inform patients and practitioners about how the body requires voltage to make new cells to maintain health and wellness, as well as incorporate traditional medicine with complementary and alternative medicine for better results.